Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gastron Om Nom: Cakepops

I'm a wee bit late on the whole cakepops train but I finally had an opportunity to attempt to make them. Jacques and Gilles were having part two of their babyshower and I thot it would be a great idea to bring some for everyone to enjoy. Well, at least they would look nice even if people didn't eat them. When I get an idea flowing in my head, I'll walk over hot coals to make sure it happens. I can honestly say that at times, I really make things hard on myself. Instead of making a few cakepops, I went over the top and made almost a hundred of them. I wanted 25 red velvet covered with chocolate, 25 red velvet covered in white chocolate, 25 yellow cake covered in pink candy melt and 25 yellow cake covered in yellow candy melt. Oy! What was I THINKING! Poor mochi came over to help and she ended up staying til really late at night. We were so exhausted. I made so many mistakes. I added too much frosting to the cake so it was a mushy mess. And next time, I think I'll just stick to sprinkles instead of trying to decorate the balls with ink gel or fondant writers. So messy! They wouldn't dry and harden so it got everywhere. I over-heated the white chocolate and it became super thick that it made it hard to coat the balls of cake. I underestimated the amount of styrofoam holders I would need and big poppa being the best bf evar ran out to wally-mart to get some more. I think he wanted to do something nice for me so he could bail and go watch some fight. It's okay. Most guys wouldn't even have helped at all but big poppa helped a LOT with making balls and coating and decorating. I think a lot of them turned out really cute. They weren't as professional looking at some of the ones I've seen online but I think we did good being that it was our first time. I swear, I'm gonna be a forever hopeless baker. I just don't quite have the finesse. Thanks to mochi, monkhi girl and big poppa for helping me out. Y'all are the best! One more thing to keep in mind, don't transport these things during the sweltering summer heat cos we had a lot that didn't survive the car ride.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: