Monday, December 1, 2008

Musik Mundi: Apocalyptica

I don't listen to rock music as much as I used to. But now and then, something good pops up on the radio that's worth acquiring in a maybe not so legal way. I love attention grabbers. It doesn't get much better than a song that starts with the sound of a cellist doing his solo thing. What makes Apocalyptica so different from other bands is that they are a Finnish cello metal band. Weird huh? But so cool man! They're known in their country for doing covers of Metallica songs. Three of the members are classically trained cellists: Eicca Toppinen, Paavo Lotjonen and Perttu Kivilaalso. Mikko Siren is their drummer. These guys look like the typical long-haired heavy metal rockers, with tattoos and black leather clothing and everything. But instead of electric guitars, they're rocking out on cello's. It's crazy. They have a couple of albums out and most of their music feature guest singers/musicians. My fave song from them, well, it's actually the only song I know from them, has Adam Gontier of Three Days Grace doing vocals. Splenda!

*photo courtesy of amazon.com*


Apocalyptica
Album: Worlds Collide (2007)
Song: I Don't Care

No comments: