Monday, February 8, 2010

Restaurant: Crave Sushi

2900 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77006

For big poppa's actual b-day, I took him to eat at Crave Sushi. Cos you know, I had a gift certificate and all. The food was okay. Nothing to rave about. Haha. I'm not a big sushi connoisseur, but I can tell you what I like and what I don't. I don't like sushi places that are overly modernized in decor. Instead, I prefer those sushi restaurants that have the more authentic and homey and inviting feel to it. I abhor, the decor. But that's just me. We arrived with no reservations to a bit of a slow night and thus were seated promptly. Big poppa and I decided to order a smattering of appetizers and just skip the entrees. I was built to tapas! Our server seemed like he was kinda new. A little hesitant here and there but was always really nice. Being a former server, I truly empathize with what they have to go through so I'm generally really easy going with them. At the end of the meal, I was fishing through my giganto bag filled with the contents of a 99 cent store and found a fortune cookie that I took and never ate from some other restaurant. I decided that I no longer wanted this fortune cookie so I set it on top of the guest check holder. The server came by to pick up the holder thing and remarked to his fellow server, I didn't know we had fortune cookies. Haha! Jokes on you server guy!


Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket


Hot rock with angus beef. It's a lot better at other places. The type of beef they give you makes all the difference.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Miso soup. Just your average miso soup.

Photobucket


Salmon ceviche. Big poppa liked it. I thot that it was a bit too acidic and the salmon tasted a lot fishier than I expected it to. Also, by the time it came out, the salmon was more on the done side. The good thing is that they gave about six to seven chunks of salmon.

Photobucket


Spare ribs. The meat was very tender with asian flavors.

Photobucket


Gyoza. The wrapping was very thin and so they easily ripped. Very under-par overall.

Photobucket


Chicken skewers. Don't order this.

Photobucket


Spicy tuna roll. This was good. It was perfectly spicy. I hate it when it's not spicy enough.

Photobucket


Big poppa and I both agreed that our favorite was the tuna poke. The marination was just yums.

Photobucket


I know it seems like my review is more on the negative side, but for some reason, I feel like I wouldn't going back. I have another gift certificate. Maybe that's why! But if anything, the happy hour looks like it could be worth it. And they supposedly have a kobe beef burger that sounds promising!

No comments: