10623 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77072
When the cousin from Cali and now ATL came to visit, I took her to Chez Beignet for dessert after we stuffed ourselves with some Kim Son dim sum. While there, I was able to confirm what I think I've always known. I do not like beignets. And I do not like anything similar to the family of beignets such as funnel cake either. Actually, I do like donuts. But even so, I don't normally eat them that much unless it's from Krispy Kreme. I'm still deeply saddened by the fact that all the Houston area locations closed down. It was very depressing. I still remember the first time I ever had one. It was in high school and a bunch of us girls went over to Monkhi's house to rehearse for this dance performance and she had a box of those mucho delish donuts and me and this other girl stood there and gobbled up like four each. It's one of those things where you forget that you're supposed to leave some for the others. Gone are the days where I can stuff my face with whatever I wanted and not gain any weight. Ugh. These days, I simply drive by a donut place and I feel fatter. SOCK MONKEY forreals! But back to beignets. To reiterate. I don't like 'em. And I HATE powdered sugar. It's all super bizarre cos I normally love anything fried and I love sugar. I was a good sport though and had myself a beignet but I brushed off as much of that powdered sugar as I could. Although, big poppa and I did have fun putting on powdered sugar lipstick. The beignets don't come cheap. They're about a dollar a piece but that will get you a fairly decent size beignet. Maybe like 4in X 5in or a bit smaller? If you order a dozen, it costs less per each. We also ordered their VN iced coffee. Grossness! It tasted watered down and diluted. Lee's will always have the best VN coffee. The place itself already looks like it's been there for awhile. It has that VN cafe feel to it and there are cheesy posters everywhere of dated VN singers. Right when you open the doors, you're slapped in the face with that dough-nutty smell. I'm still not quite sure of the ethnicity of the proprietors. I assumed they were VN but the lady at the counter was of some sort of Euro descent. There have been rumors circulating that the owners here are equivalent to the soup nazi. The beignet nazi. And by the looks that she was giving me as I took a few dozen fotos of her, she didn't seem to happy with me. She looked fierce. But she was not smiling with her eyes. Tyra would not be pleased.
Hi beignet lady! How big are your beignets?
They're this big!
Mean sign. If you can't read it, this is what it says: "You are welcome to bring your own food and drink to this place. However, a $3.00 fee will be collected for any of those items when consumed at our place without our permission."
The beignet.
The beignet already comes with a thin layer of powdered sugar. If it's not enough, they provide containers of powdered sugar so you can however much more that you want. There's also a squeeze bottle of honey that people can pour over their beignet. You know, even I have limits. Powdered sugar and honey? Geezus!

















1 comment:
you know. after having beignets in paris, the ones here do not compare. however, i do like the beignets at grande luxe. sure they're topped with the sugar, but the beignet itself melts in your mouth. it's not tough or too crispy n fried. and they give you 3 types of dipping sauces. personally, i like the dark chocolate the best. -chelle
Post a Comment