Friday, April 24, 2009

Restaurant: Jasmine's

9938 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, Texas 77036

Jasmine's is owned by the same people behind the most popular seven course beef restaurant in Houston, Saigon Pagolac. Since it's almost always crowded at the original spot, my family and I normally head on over to Jasmine's whenever we're craving DIY spring rolls. So good! The seven course beef comes with, well, seven different types of beef. The first beef course is thinly sliced raw beef that you cook at the table in a vinegar based broth fondue style. The next five sets of beef is this one huge giganto meat ball, some smaller meatballs, beef rolled in lotus leaf, lemongrass beef and sausage style beef with green onion. The last is an ABC soup with bits of ground beef in a pho-like broth. Big poppa LOVES that soup. All of beef in those courses, except for the last one, is used to make your own spring roll. You are provided with rice papers, a bowl of hot water where you can give your rice paper a quick dip, vegetable and fruit fixings (green leaf lettuce, cucumbers, mint, cilantro, pineapple, pickled carrots) and then you get either fish sauce or anchovy sauce to dip your very own spring roll in. YUMS. I'm getting so hungry just thinking about it. Besides the seven course beef, you can order different types of meat to grill at the table and then proceed to once again, make your own spring roll. I always order chicken. It's not on the menu but they normally are able to prepare some for me when I ask. My mom and dad always get the cooked catfish. We normally go with a big group so my mom will order the jumbo size catfish. And every single time she orders it, she'll tell the waiter in Vietnamese: It better be a jumbo catfish, don't bring out a medium and tell me it's jumbo, ya hear?!? Haha. Gotta love my ma. I don't eat fish, but man does it look GOOD. It's grilled and topped with loads of green onion, peanuts and some fried stuff. Heaven! But I don't like fish. Other reasons why I prefer coming to Jasmine's rather than Saigon Pagolac is sometimes, you just need a huge table so that you can fit everything comfortably and Jasmine's has a lot more ten tops avail. And lastly, the owner/manager guy at Saigon Pagolac is the biggest jerk evar! He always seems pissed and has been an arse hole to me and big poppa on numerous occasions. But you know what? It's one of those things that you gotta just get over cos they got some good arse food and they know it! There's no competition anywhere else! Fotos are lacking cos once I started eating, I had fish sauce up to my elbows.


Photobucket

Photobucket


The egg rolls used to be a lot better, but they're still not that bad.

Photobucket


The catfish. I like the cherry eyes. So wrong. Some of the seven course beef in front of the catfish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: