Thursday, July 3, 2008

Daily Shots: Driving Range

The bf and his man pals have been getting into the sport of golf. Mainly, we've been going to this driving range on Richmond and West Houston Center. That cross street might be incorrect. I've noticed that my swing has gotten a lot better. I hit the ball more often than not and I'm on target when it comes to precision. As for accuracy, not so much. I could get into this whole spiel on why golf is one the most over-rated and pretentious sports ever invented by men. Some will say that it's one of the most difficult sports out there. I think not. Here are my arguments:

1. If I could go out and hit the darn ball with absolutely ZERO lessons, then imagine how much better I would be with a few simple lessons.

2. You got NO opponent. There's no one trying to block your shot. No one trying to tackle yo arse.

3. Old people play it.

4. The audience is completely silent. No heckling or waving objects to distract the hitter.

5. You have people who carry things for you and you get to consult with the folks around you about what to do.

I could definitely go on. I can't believe people win thousands of dollars from this so-called sport. And then Tiger Woods had to have knee surgery? You get knee surgery from sports like football and basketball and other types of high-contact sports. Not frackin' golf. Seriously. Even billiards is harder. In billiards, you have someone who will try to block your next shot. Sorry. But the image of golf and how it's on this super high pedestal just makes me want to poke my eyes out and THEN roll them around. It drives me insane when the golfer makes a shot and then the audience gives these appreciative golf claps like the golfer did something brilliant. AAGGHHH! Watson and Crick were brilliant men. Not some over-paid geezers swinging around metal clubs.

OK. Back to reality. And back to some fotos of the boys doing their thang.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man that's ridiculous how all this golf stuff is happening simultaneously. a friend of mine got me back into it and seriously this time since college and i have no idea why the idea of going to the range or hitting the course gets us hype. ha anyway, we were at richmond, i'd say last wednesday or so. it's different playing from real grass or off a platform. should try memorial if yall ever go that way.

mad rambling. haha anyway, picking up random hobbies again keeps me busy so i'm in the zone...even tho it's 108 outside cuz of humidity.

btw, i havent had the chance to hit up the new skatepark downtown that they opened. waiting for that perfect day to get photo ops down there.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Let me know when you go to the range again. I don't know if I ever told you this, but I kind of dabbled in it a few years ago when i dated this dude. I even have my own iron. (yes I said iron, as in singular.)

But I definitely do NOT agree with you about golf. Even though I don't really follow it anymore (due to my disassociation with the previously mentioned), I feel as though golf requires mucho skill and effort. There's few things (such as seeing david beckham in his undies)that can rile me up to the same thrill as hearing the crack of a ball against your iron when hit correctly.

Golf is also a sport where anyone can play. I love watching old fat guys gracefully swing their clubs with ease and sending the little golf ball far into the distance.