Monday, January 12, 2009

Musik Mundi: Joseph Arthur

I am completely envious of those artists out there who have the ability and musical sense to simply write great songs, one after the other. I'm not sure if Joseph Arthur is one of those guys but you know what, he's been cranking out albums like mad! And in any case, the fact that he does write his own stuff, he's got my respect. I wish I had that talent. I'm sure I've mentioned that before. I read something that made me laugh about his experience of writing music as a child.

"I couldn't play along with my records, so that's why I started writing my own. The keyboard had a sequencer so I started writing these little electronic music things. I thought I was a genius, and I would play them for my mom. And she'd be like, 'It sounds like Chinese music,' and it would crush me. I wanted her to say, 'That's the most genius thing I've ever heard."

Chinese music? Hilarity! I can't even tell you what Chinese music sounds like. And I'm even more curious to hear what he played for his mum. And no, he's not a Brit. I just like talking like one. The song on my blog is from an album way back from 2000. Can you remember how you prepared for the new millennium? Or was Y2K just another day?

Side note: In the midst of writing this blog, I managed to order some grey suede boots. Seriously?!? How does that happen!!! Somebody stop me! They better frackin' fit my feet. And my fat calves. I guess now I have proof that I'm an excellent multi-tasker when it comes things unrelated real work.

*photo courtesy of amazon.com*


Joseph Arthur
Album: Come To Where I'm From (2000)
Song: In The Sun

No comments: