Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Restaurants: Les Givral's

2704 Milam St
Houston, TX 77006

The big poppa stop by Les Givral's for lunch from time to time. I like it. Big poppa thinks it's ok. I think he prefers Pho Saigon right across the street cos he's always in the mood for pho and I think their pho is a smidgen better. But I come here when I'm craving some banh mi. Oh how I LOVE banh mi. There aren't that many banh mi places anymore in the downtown area. Luckily, this place is still here and it's really decent. Viets know how to do food right. Where else can you get an almost foot long baguette filled with some French mayo, grilled pork, pickled julienne carrots, a slice of cucumber, some cilantro and jalapenos for three buckaroos! Yums! Actually, now that I think about it really hard, there are actually quite a few places to choose from that offer banh mi. Oops. Haha! This place has been here for a LONG time. I'm not sure if the name has changed. I don't think it has. But I still remember when I was little girl, my dad would take me here once a week to meet up with his friends. He would always order the bo kho. I can't remember what I would eat. Prolly a banh mi. Those were the good days. It was right before my ma popped out with my two younger sisters back to back. Ai yah.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


OMG! I just abso-frackin-lutely LOVE Vietnamese egg rolls. No. I love ANYTHING that you have to eat with fish sauce. That's the Viet side of me. I prefer nuoc mam over soy sauce. ANY DAY!

Photobucket

Photobucket


The bf ordered the bo kho stuff. It's basically like a beef stew.

Photobucket


My bun thit nuong. I wasn't feeling banh mi that day. I think I came in wanting some banh cuon. But they didn't have any. So I went for the next best thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I know how you feel. Thit nuong makes me feel happy too!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for downtown banh mi, i like givrals. have you tried eating at tien an yet on travis/elgin? i love their banh mi. but my all time fave has got to be don's sandwiches down bellaire...yummmmms

Nosmo King said...

@ eatyet:

oh my lordy! my fave banh mi place is also don's! i always order the banh mi ga nuong ... so gut! i also love their egg rolls. I'm not sure if it's the same place but I had lunch with my friend at a VN place a while back. It could have been Tien An ... not sure ... i just remember that it was really hot inside? i didn't have their banh mi though ... i had banh cuon ... i don't know why i always want banh cuon.

Anonymous said...

i crave banh mi like no other. it's cheap. it's delicious. and the banh mi thit nuong is just the best...ever. and yeah, don's has great eggrolls too!