Before I talk about Vera, I want to also say Happy Birthday to Miss LP! She's beaching like a whale in Puerto Rico right about now. You better come back with some tacky tan lines! She's a recycling czar so it's quite the coincidence that her berfday falls on Earth Day. Happy green day to all!
And now onto my dearest friend Vera. She passed away five years ago. 1 week before her 21st birthday. With a full scholarship for all four years of undergrad as well as four years of med school at Baylor, there's no room for doubt that she was smart. She spent every second of her free time helping others. At her funeral, the number of people who came to mourn her passing easily reached 100+. Even the Children's Nutrition Research Center has an internship in her name. I attended a memorial service for her two weekends ago that paid tribute to all the wonderful things that she has accomplished in her short life. Not long after her tragedy, a scholarship was created in her name. Every year, a graduating Vietnamese high school student who embodies everything Vera worked for will be awarded with this scholarship. The ceremony was just as moving as it were before. The bf never had to a chance to meet my friend but even he teared up at the heart felt words being shared from the people that cared for her the most. As we left, we both felt as if it were our duty to donate to her scholarship. If anything, I want the memory of Vera to be alive for as long as possible. If you would like to contribute, please visit The Vietnamese American Scholarship Foundation.


Some friends and I got together to make a scrapbook for her mother. I liked it so much that I made sure to make a copy before handing it over.






Happy Birthday Vera!
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment