907 Whitehead St
Key West, FL 33040
What was once the home of one of the most famous and prolific American writer's is now a museum. At a ridiculous fee of 12 bucks a person, you get to enter and explore the place where Ernest Hemingway authored approximately 70% of work. We opted not to go in since none of us were dedicated readers. If you read about his history, you can't help but be amazed by the amount of events and accomplishments that make-up his life. The guy was married four times and experienced World War I, II and the Spanish Civil War as a medic, naval officer and journalist respectively. Only a classic writer such as himself could use run-ons and sentence fragments and then have it be deemed literary genius and termed 'stream of consciousness'. I'm not sure if he pioneered that style of writing but I know for sure if I ever wrote like that, it would just be considered bad writing and bad syntax. It's interesting to note how a person in a setting of all this foliage and botanical can inspire novel after novel. Put me in that same setting and the only inspiration out of me would be pure laziness. Set up a hammock and sleep the day away. Hemingway suffered from depression as did a few other family members on his father's side. And in following in their footsteps, he committed suicide a couple of weeks short of his 62nd birthday. Weapon of choice? A shotgun to the face. Eek!
4 weeks ago





No comments:
Post a Comment