Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Trippin': Vancouver - Stanley Park

If there is one mistake I made while visiting Vancouver, it would be that I was incredibly crazy to think that I could appreciate everything that Stanley Park has to offer in a couple of measly little hours. This park is HUGE. Massive! There are tons of people who take advantage of the almost 6 miles of seawall that borders the park. The bf and I made it halfway around before deciding to turn back because it was starting to get dark. Well, I decided to take a short cut right through the park. Big mistake! Never ever take a short cut in an area you're not familiar with. We ended up having to climb over fallen trees and night was quickly creeping upon us. And there were NO other people around! I was starting to get nervous because I had no idea what so ever how far/close we were to civilization. I was already tired from all of the walking and we were having to walk up super steep inclines. Darn nature! I was also hacking and coughing and wheezing because I wasn't 100% over my pesty little cold from earlier in the week. But luckily, and obviously, we made it back safe and sound. The park is great because they have separate trails for the walkers/runners and another trail specifically for the bikers/bladers and other wheel people. My original plan was to rent bikes but there were several issues that came up such as the possibility that the bf wasn't super confident in his bmx skillz and of course I planned on doing a lot of stopping so I can take fotos. It would probably be best to visit in the spring/summer. They have all kinds of neat things to look at. There are totem poles, a river that salmons will swim through as they make their way to have babies and all kinds of interesting landmarks. Give yourself at least a full day.


No comments: