Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Trippin': Austin - Krause Springs

404 Krause Springs
Spicewood, TX 78669

This was my VERY first time going to a natural springs and it was such a great experience. I had an incredible time. Technically, we weren't in Austin but some smaller city called Spicewood. But I still consider it to be Austin. Just like Pearland, Sugarland and Jersey Village is still Houston to me. METROPOLIS! Krause Springs was a short drive from our Lake House and the water was COLD! The incredible 115 acre park is privately owned and is surrounded by thick lush greenery. They charge five bucks a person and unfortunately, we didn't stay our money's worth (about an hour or so) but it was still satisfying enough. I was so excited about jumping in that I didn't even bother worrying about how I looked in my swim suit. I went in first and when I was halfway in the water, I gave a loud shriek cos the water was frackin' COLD! And then I just took a deep breath and dove into the water. I came back up and gave another yelp ... that's right ... cos the water was so darn cold. But then after that, the water never felt better. It was your typical scorching Texas summer and the cold water was eventually very welcoming. I can still recall how fabulous the cold water felt as I dipped my head back into it. So refreshing! I'm getting worked up just thinking about it! I wanna go back now! There was this area where people were lining up to swing off a rope and then go plunging into the water below. I decided to try it and worked up the courage to climb up the rocks and wait with all the other daredevils. And lemme warn ya. Rocks: definitely slippery when wet! I kept telling the strangers around me that I was really nervous. I don't get nervous much but I was feeling a bit shaky. What if I can't hang on? What if I slip and hit the rocks? ACK! This younger girl (and much skinnier girl) offered to go before me so that I could watch what she does. So then it was my turn. I grabbed a hold of the rope, very much aware that all my friends were watching, and off I went. I managed to hang on and let go at the right moment. I'm sure my technique wasn't so good. Too much splash! But I made it! It was really fun and I would mos def do it again! The bf and I have been talking about going camping and I'm thinking this would be the perfect place to do it. They have camp grounds here and charge ten bucks a person. Sounds like a plan!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

AntsyMama said...

i'm glad you got to enjoy austin and its surroundings for all its worth! i wish houston was like that! i <3 lake travis and the springs..sigh. have you ever heard of inks lake or frio? inks lake is known for its huge camp grounds and has this super high cliff you can jump off..it was so scary/fun! its an hr outside austin. and frio is near new braunsfels. we stayed at a cabin that has 5 rooms (2 beds each), 4 baths, and 10 beds upstairs..we went in this group of about 20-30 ppl and split the cost..the total came out to be $100/person for 3 days/2 nights..went tubing everyday and just cooked out. we should all try someday!

Nosmo King said...

That sounds super! But maybe not if it's 20-30 deep ... you know i don't like rolling like that.