About five or six years ago, I get a call from EmMa asking if I wanted to go check out this concert. It was going to be this Chinese artist, Vienna Teng, who played the piano and sang her own songs. Neither of us knew who she was and I opted out of it cos I was too cheap to pay the $15 cover fee. About an hour later, I get a call from Transam asking if I wanted to go see this Vienna Teng person. With two different people asking me to go to the same concert, I was intrigued. So I changed my mind and decided to head on out to the Mucky Duck. The venue is awesome! It's a small pub that serves food and is mostly lit up by the candles on each table. It gets super packed. I imagine that's how it feels dining in NYC. So we ordered our food and eagerly waited for Vienna Teng to do her thang. When it was her turn to perform, she gave us a small intro about herself and a short anecdote to follow her first song. My first thought was man, she's got quite a low voice. When she played out the first few notes on her keyboard, I immediately loved what I was hearing. The most surprising part was when she actually started singing. Holy crap! She was frackin' GOOD! I remember me and Transam looking at each other with similar impressed expressions. That night, I became a big fan of Vienna Teng. Since then, I have paid actual USD's to go see her on two other occasions. The songs below are from her first CD, which is my favorite out of the four that she has out. Her second one is also quite good but her last few haven't hit a special note with me. I hope she comes back to Houston soon cos I would love for big poppa to see her live. She used to look quite androgenous but she's gotten better at feminizing herself.
*photo courtesy of amazon.com*
Vienna Teng
Album: Waking Hour (2002)
Song: The Tower
Song: Gravity
Song: Lullaby For A Stormy Night
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment